Sunday 30 December 2007

A busy bee

The last few days have been brilliant as I set up position in the middle of the living room. I've been surrounded by rulers, bits of paper, scissors, sellotape, sketch books while I design a new paper theatre that i've been thinking about for the last 2 months. It's more in keeping with traditional paper theatres, so is rectangular rather than circular. The circular format is nice but it's a problem when it comes to installing things into it and you have no base on which to place things.

Here's a page from my sketchbook.

The line drawing produced after numerous sketches

A digitally coloured rough it to get an idea of what general colours to use

There's a story to go with the theatre and i'm hoping to make the sea creature moveable, which might take some fiddling around and prototypes.

I also managed to finish off one small commission, a hair painting to go with the season:
I have another week off work in which to make a start on the theatre and work out what i'm doing next year!

4 comments:

ink and ginger said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That's lovely, and the older commission with the 2 birds as well. Your symbolism really speaks to me.

Anonymous said...

Will you pls contact me - I would like to buy this illustration - just big! inge_hildebrandt@web.de

Unknown said...

Just discovered your blog, love your work.