A wee bit of progress to show on the painting in the clock.
Put some liquin varnish over her, lovely smell, and the best thing if you ever want to layer oils (in my opinion anyway :)).
I am just in the process of layering some 3d butterflies in the front bottom of the case. They're not handpainted, just prints on etching paper of previous butterflies i've painted.
Last week I made a bargain bid on eBay for clock parts - it was so ridiculously cheap and there was such a ton of the stuff.
The problem with all of this is that my work space is now about the size of my chair...I can't move without encountering some kind of clock....I need some super storage system.
The gem in all this junk is so far:
Looking a bit tatty, but with a tiny bit of dark paint to cover scuffs, and mainly dark wax and a polisher, we have:
I could hardly believe how beautifully it turned out, I had visions of having to sand everything right back and start again. It didn't take that long. Aside from what I want to use it for I couldn't help thinking, when I put it on the mantlepiece next to my plants, how beautiful it would look if you took off the back panel of wood, replaced it with glass and made a terrarium or something plant pott-ish with it...The dark wood really complements the greens/reds of winter plants.
To give an idea of the size of it, here it is next to the original clock case.