Sunday 6 April 2008

Cooking, sketching, and clocks

So, I ended up getting ill in time for my time off work...so predictable! So, I did a bit of sketching and made Quick Tiramisu! Let me tell you it's amazing and very simple ingredients and since me cooking is a momentous ocassion in our house, here's the process:

250ml Whipped Cream
250gms Mascarpone Cheese
3tbsps Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
6 Tbsps Amaretto
2 cups of strong coffee
1 Packet of Lady sponge fingers (Like you use for trifles)

Make some really strong coffee (about 2 cups) and let it cool. Add 3 tbsps of the Amaretto.

Seperate the eggs, save the whites and into a seperate bowl whisk the 2 egg yolks and Caster sugar until it's thick and pale.

Blend in the Mascarpone Cheese

Fold in the whipped cream gently

Whisk up the egg whites until they form soft peaks and then fold this quickly but gently into the rest of the cream.

Add the other 3 tbsps of Amaertto into the cream mixture and make sure you don't lose any volume.

Dip the sponge fingers into the coffee/amaretto mixture for about 2 seconds, shake off excess coffee

Layer the bottom of a glass bowl with the fingers
Add a layer of the cream mixture, and repeat until you run out of sponge fingers. Finish with the last layer of cream.

Sprnke cocoa powder or drinking chocolate on the top and refrigerate for 2 hours....The longer the better actually but it will last :)

Serve with some raspberries and Consume! And if you're feeling a bit fruity, you can make this nice liquer coffee using Amaretto, Kahlua and a topping of left over whipped cream!
Excellent day which made up for illness. Some sketching:


And some progress on the clock case theatre. It's such an insanely beutiful case. I cleaned up the outside, fixed some of the gold edging. I have painted the inside and added a large star and also a constellation.....Again i'm inspired by Joanna Newsom.....


The song is pretty obvious if you look at miss bear who is one of the characters to be placed inside it :)


I will have some originals to put in the shop soon then - including 'The Queen and I' from the previous post. I will put them all up at the same time, i've heard this is better than just shoving things up willy nilly. So it'll go up on Sunday 13th :)

2 comments:

Claire Mojher said...

I'm so happy to see that you're inspired by the lyrics of Joanna Newsom - I find it really interesting to get a taste of others' interpretations of characters from songs or books. Your work is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful clock piece and painting! I look forward to seeing the final piece.I love your work!
Cooking around here is a momentous occasion as well. That tiramisu looks fantastic..it''s one of my favorite desserts. Maybe I'll attempt your recipe if I can figure out where to get the cheese:)
~Christine